Sunday, April 23, 2006

All Systems Go


Although the next stage in my mission to leave my indelible mark on every continent on planet earth hasn't begun yet, it is certainly in the advanced stages of planning. I've handed my notice in at work (believe it or not, I wasn't exactly heart broken at this), spent the best part of £1000 on important things like tickets for music festivals and less important things like travel insurance and I'm leaving the country bound for Belgium on May 22nd.

It is going to be a whistle stop tour of the vast majority of Europe taking in Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Hungary, Austria, Czech Republic, Italy, France and Spain. God bless the European rail network! This list may not include half of the eastern bloc like I originally told you but a distinct lack of money and an overwhelming attack of sensibleness has meant I have decided not to visit Serbia, Slovakia and Bosnia. It's a shame really because I was looking forward to wearing one of those bearskin hats with the floppy fur lined ear protectors!

Amongst drinking cheap ale in Prague, expensive wine in Milan, and averagely priced sangria in Madrid I will be watching the World Cup in various cities across Germany and going to the Roskilde Festival just outside of Copenhagen, Denmark - 4 days of rock 'n' roll fun including Bob Dylan, The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Guns 'N' Roses, Franz Ferdinand, Editors and Morrissey. Amazing.

It is certainly going to beat working in the godforsaken hell hole that is the call centre I work in- when I left Australia I promised myself I would not work in another call centre in my life, but having just spent 7 of the last 12 months using the phrase "Good morning, you're through to Tesco policy payments this is Richard speaking how can I help you?", and then been forced to speak to an absolute tool for 5 minutes, 60 times a day, means I am actually starting to go a little bit mental.

Anyways, enough moaning about my former life, in a months time I gonna be wearing a beret and lederhosen and pledging my allegiance to the European flag. This may not happen but i'm sure as hell gonna have a good time anyway.

Keep checking back for updates on what is sure to be a hectic adventure,
Rich

1 Comments:

Blogger Outlaw Torn said...

Good luck to you, man! If it's your first time to Europe you are sure to have a blast. I did a much shorter trip across France, Germany, Austria, and Italy just over a year ago and I found that it tends to be cheaper (except in France) to by a train ticket to someplace else the day you're leaving. It can be a hassle sometimes, but if you don't have a schedule to follow it works out nicely.
So all the continents, eh? Let me know when you plan on doing Africa. In 2 months I leave for there and maybe by the time you plan on going I'll be able to give you some tips. Til then, happy travels!

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home