Friday, May 26, 2006

What Would Belgium Be If Not For Its Squares

I made it then! I've been in Belgium for all of 4 days and already I feel compelled to update this thing. It has quickly become apparent to me that despite my past travel experience i'm still not much cop at it. I landed in Brussels not knowing which of it's two airports I was in and then spent the next 2 hours looking for the hostel, which with a backpack is a lot of walking. Asking for directions was the first test of my foreign language skills, which, in French stretch to 2 sentences. One 'do you speak English?' came in quite handy, the other 'I am wearing blue trousers' wasn't quite so helpful.

Anyway, after finally locating the hostel and then locating a bar I felt quite at home again on the road. The life style of doing nothing during the day and then drinking in the evening is what i was born to do. We moved on back to the hostel bar a little later where we were accosted by a group of 16 year old Swiss schoolkids, who thought they were been sophisticated by drinking Bacardi Breezers and snorting something i initially mistook to be crack, but I later figured out was Tobacco, although I never got an official verdict on this as none of them could speak a word of the Queens English. They continued to try and engage us in conversation in a mixture of broken English, the aforementioned French phrases and the little bit of German I know, for 2 days. Very very irritating!

Other than that, Belgium has given me the delights of rain, waffles and an unnecessary amount of guilded market squares which all look exactly the same. I have travelled from Brussels to Bruge and now Antwerp and they are all an indentikit copy of each other, very picturesque, very gothic, but very much the same.

Anyways, the pressures of an internet countdown are getting to me now and I'm also itching to get back and have another look at the Antwerp market square before I go and share a few cold beverages with my travelling buddies,

So until the next time,
Au revoir,
Rich

1 Comments:

Blogger Col said...

Alright fella, glad your enjoying it then... real Stella mmmmm belgium rules!

Anyway just to let you know I got the job in Frankfurt and im going on the 19th June, although i think ill be working in Berlin! so ill let you know maybe we can meet up for the world cup final in berlin?? ill be in touch..

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home